Hillside Assembly is a member of the Assemblies of God with 66.4 million adherents in 252 countries around the world and growing. Our fellowship began in 1901 when a contingent of people from many church backgrounds began experiencing a revival of the baptism of the Holy Spirit as recorded in the Bible book of Acts. Other supernatural manifestations of God, including prophesy and healings, also took place. With this revival came a great evangelism thrust and commitment to share Christ with the world. This movement came together in April of 1914 to form the Assemblies of God.
We are protestant, trinitarian, evangelical, and pentecostal. We are a member of the National Association of Evangelicals, the Pentecostal and Charismatic Churches of North America, and the Pentecostal World Fellowship. However, we are not affiliated with the World Council of Churches or the National Council of Churches.
Hillside Assembly's roots began in the fall of 1930, as the Shawano Gospel Tabernacle hosted tent meetings. Families read about the tent meetings and invited their neighbors, who heard the good news of Jesus Christ in a way that changed their lives. They kept attending there, while also trying start meeting in Gillett wherever they could. In 1942, the group wrote to the district office of the Assemblies of God and under their guidance installed a deacon board and purchased property for tent meetings in Gillett. They met in houses during the winter months, but soon this became difficult because of the size of the group. They constructed a building on the corner of First and Richmond Streets, dedicating it on April 17, 1949 under the name Gillett Gospel Tabernacle. Two years later, the name was changed to Gillett Assembly of God. The group continued to grow, so a new site was selected and the current building was dedicated June 3-4, 1978. The name was officially changed to Hillside Assembly of God on December 10, 1978.
Our worship services range from singing traditional hymns to upbeat contemporary Christian music. We encourage people to express their worship of God with clapping, raising hands, playing musical instruments, and singing from the heart in our non-liturgical services. We invite you to come and experience our worship style and seek God’s fresh touch on your life.
Based on the Great Commandment (Matt. 22:37-40) and the Great Commission (Matt. 28:19-20):
We are reaching out to connect people to God and others.
Compelled by Christ's love, we will become an irresistible community passionately connecting our world to God.
Our Core Values
Planned values are descriptive words that reflect the values, attitudes, styles and beliefs that help fulfill our purpose. We try to incorporate these key approaches into all of our programs. It is all built on REACHING.
Reliant on God ... We want to rely on the Bible and the Holy Spirit in our ministry
Enthusiastic ... We want inspiring worship, prayer, and service to God
Accepting ... We want to meet people where they are and let God do the changing
Christ-Centered ... We want to bring everything back to Jesus, his death and resurrection
Harvest-Focused ... We want to reach lost people
Intentional ... We want to be purposeful in spending time with people and discipling them to know and serve God with their lives
Nurturing ... We want people to feel like they belong, they are cared for, and to address their real needs and problems, focusing especially on families—kids, teens, young adults
Gift-Based Ministry ... We want to get people participating by using their unique gifts
Our Ministry Model
God’s love through community and world evangelism
- We are preparing and encouraging people to share Christ, to be ready to ask the question of commitment and to celebrate in the regular occurrence of people making decisions for Christ.
for each other through fellowship
- We are seeking always to develop new relationships, to deepen acquaintances into friendships and to spiritually support one another in an atmosphere of acceptance whether one-on-one, in small groups or in corporate gatherings.
3. Loving God
by responding to Him through worship
- We are providing opportunities for Spirit-filled and Spirit-led praise, worship, and prayer and personal and corporate expressions of devotion to God in a context of order and fittingness.
people to obey God through discipleship
- We are helping people to see the reality of God, develop the basic disciplines, values, character, and commitments of a true disciple, and help them be disciplers and mentors of others.
God through active ministry
- We are helping people to discover, develop, and use their God-given gifts and abilities to minister through teamwork and accountability and inspiring them to serve others in their personal sphere of influence.
The Bible is our all-sufficient rule for faith and practice. Click the links below to see the complete original statement with scriptures. (See full text version in English
- WE BELIEVE…The Scriptures are Inspired by God and declare His design and plan for mankind.
- WE BELIEVE…There is only One True God–revealed in three persons…Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (commonly known as the Trinity).
- WE BELIEVE…In the Deity of the Lord Jesus Christ. As God’s son Jesus was both human and divine.
- WE BELIEVE…though originally good, Man Willingly Fell to Sin–ushering evil and death, both physical and spiritual, into the world.
- WE BELIEVE…Every Person Can Have Restored Fellowship with God Through ‘Salvation’ (trusting Christ, through faith and repentance, to be our personal Savior).
- WE BELIEVE…and practice two ordinances—(1) Water Baptism by Immersion after repenting of one’s sins and receiving Christ’s gift of salvation, and (2) Holy Communion (the Lord’s Supper) as a symbolic remembrance of Christ’s suffering and death for our salvation.
- WE BELIEVE…the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is a Special Experience Following Salvation that empowers believers for witnessing and effective service, just as it did in New Testament times.
- WE BELIEVE… The Initial Physical Evidence of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is ‘Speaking in Tongues,’ as experienced on the Day of Pentecost and referenced throughout Acts and the Epistles.
- WE BELIEVE…Sanctification Initially Occurs at Salvation and is not only a declaration that a believer is holy, but also a progressive lifelong process of separating from evil as believers continually draw closer to God and become more Christlike.
- WE BELIEVE…The Church has a Mission to (1) be an agency of God for sharing the gospel with the world, (2) provide a corporate fellowship for worshiping God, (3) be a channel of God’s purpose to build up and disciple believers, (4) demonstrate Christ’s compassion to the world through “Christian acts of kindness.”
- WE BELIEVE…A Divinely Called and Scripturally Ordained Leadership Ministry Serves the Church. The Bible teaches that each of us under leadership must commit ourselves to reach others for Christ, to worship Him with other believers, to build up or edify the body of believers–the Church and to Meet human need with ministries of love and compassion.
- WE BELIEVE…Divine Healing of the Sick is a Privilege for Christians Today and is provided for in Christ’s atonement (His sacrificial death on the cross for our sins).
- WE BELIEVE…in The Blessed Hope—When Jesus Raptures His Church Prior to His Return to Earth (the second coming). At this future moment in time all believers who have died will rise from their graves and will meet the Lord in the air, and Christians who are alive will be caught up with them, to be with the Lord forever.
- WE BELIEVE…in The Millennial Reign of Christ when Jesus returns with His saints at His second coming and begins His benevolent rule over earth for 1,000 years. This millennial reign will bring the salvation of national Israel and the establishment of universal peace.
- WE BELIEVE…A Final Judgment Will Take Place for those who have rejected Christ. They will be judged for their sin and consigned to eternal punishment in a lake of fire.
- WE BELIEVE…and look forward to the perfect New Heavens and a New Earth that Christ is preparing for all people, of all time, who have accepted Him. We will live and dwell with Him there forever following His millennial reign on Earth. ‘And so shall we forever be with the Lord!’