Jesus at the Center
It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth…Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.”Acts 4:10,12 NIV
The reason our church exists is because of who Jesus is and what He has done for us. Because He lived the perfect life we could never live, and took the punishment for our sins when He died in our place, and rose again from the dead, we can become a new person, “born again”, adopted into the family of God.
We want everyone to experience the life-transforming power of God’s love, and that’s why we reach out to our communities in every possible way and send missionaries all over the world.
Our Core Values
Planned values are descriptive words that reflect the values, attitudes, styles and beliefs that help fulfill our purpose. We try to incorporate these key approaches into all we do.
- Biblically-based: We live by the Word of God.
- Foundational Prayer of Faith: We believe that connection with God through prayer is essential. Prayer is fundamental to our faith and guides everything we do.
- Real Worship: We believe worship should be Spirit-led and genuine and is central to how we live. We worship God in Spirit and in Truth.
- Spirit-Led: We seek to be empowered by the Holy Spirit, inviting Him to work in us individually and corporately, following His lead.
- Lifestyle of Discipleship: We live every day to be more like Christ and to help everyone grow in a relationship with Him.
- Relational-Authentic Fellowship: We center our ministry on creating authentic connections to care for people, develop strong relationships, and encourage accountability.
- Reaching the Next Generation: We create an environment for children and youth to discover a life-long relationship with Jesus.
- Global Missions: To spread the Gospel and raise up believers in Christ by equipping, sending, and going globally.
- Generosity: We are lavish with our time and resources so we can show God’s love as we meet needs and serve our community.
1. Sharing God’s love through community and world evangelism (Acts 1:8).
We are preparing and encouraging people to share Christ, to be ready to ask the question of commitment and to celebrate in the regular occurrence of people making decisions for Christ.
2. Caring for each other through fellowship (Colossians 3:12-17).
We are seeking always to develop new relationships, to deepen acquaintances into friendships and to spiritually support one another in an atmosphere of acceptance whether one-on-one, in small groups or in corporate gatherings.
3. Loving God by responding to Him through worship (Acts 2:42-47).
We are providing opportunities for Spirit-filled and Spirit-led praise, worship, and prayer and personal and corporate expressions of devotion to God in a context of order and fittingness.
4. Training people to obey God through discipleship (Matthew 28:19-20).
We are helping people to see the reality of God, develop the basic disciplines, values, character, and commitments of a true disciple, and help them be disciplers and mentors of others.
5. Serving God through active ministry (Romans 12:1-8).
We are helping people to discover, develop, and use their God-given gifts and abilities to minister through teamwork and accountability and inspiring them to serve others in their personal sphere of influence.
Hillside is a member of the Assemblies of God with 69 million adherents in 249 countries around the world and growing. Our fellowship began in 1901 when a contingent of people from many church backgrounds began experiencing a revival of the baptism of the Holy Spirit as recorded in the Bible book of Acts. Other supernatural manifestations of God, including prophesy and healings, also took place. With this revival came a great evangelism thrust and commitment to share Christ with the world. This movement came together in April of 1914 to form the Assemblies of God.
We are protestant, trinitarian, evangelical, and pentecostal. We are a member of the National Association of Evangelicals, the Pentecostal and Charismatic Churches of North America, and the Pentecostal World Fellowship. We are not affiliated with the World Council of Churches or the National Council of Churches.
Statement of Fundamental Truths
- WE BELIEVE…The Scriptures are Inspired by God and declare His design and plan for mankind.
- WE BELIEVE…There is only One True God–revealed in three persons…Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (commonly known as the Trinity).
- WE BELIEVE…In the Deity of the Lord Jesus Christ. As God’s son Jesus was both human and divine.
- WE BELIEVE…though originally good, Man Willingly Fell to Sin–ushering evil and death, both physical and spiritual, into the world.
- WE BELIEVE…Every Person Can Have Restored Fellowship with God Through ‘Salvation’ (trusting Christ, through faith and repentance, to be our personal Savior).
- WE BELIEVE…and practice two ordinances—(1) Water Baptism by Immersion after repenting of one’s sins and receiving Christ’s gift of salvation, and (2) Holy Communion (the Lord’s Supper) as a symbolic remembrance of Christ’s suffering and death for our salvation.
- WE BELIEVE…the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is a Special Experience Following Salvation that empowers believers for witnessing and effective service, just as it did in New Testament times.
- WE BELIEVE… The Initial Physical Evidence of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is ‘Speaking in Tongues,’ as experienced on the Day of Pentecost and referenced throughout Acts and the Epistles.
- WE BELIEVE…Sanctification Initially Occurs at Salvation and is not only a declaration that a believer is holy, but also a progressive lifelong process of separating from evil as believers continually draw closer to God and become more Christlike.
- WE BELIEVE…The Church has a Mission to (1) be an agency of God for sharing the gospel with the world, (2) provide a corporate fellowship for worshiping God, (3) be a channel of God’s purpose to build up and disciple believers, (4) demonstrate Christ’s compassion to the world through “Christian acts of kindness.”
- WE BELIEVE…A Divinely Called and Scripturally Ordained Leadership Ministry Serves the Church. The Bible teaches that each of us under leadership must commit ourselves to reach others for Christ, to worship Him with other believers, to build up or edify the body of believers–the Church and to Meet human need with ministries of love and compassion.
- WE BELIEVE…Divine Healing of the Sick is a Privilege for Christians Today and is provided for in Christ’s atonement (His sacrificial death on the cross for our sins).
- WE BELIEVE…in The Blessed Hope—When Jesus Raptures His Church Prior to His Return to Earth (the second coming). At this future moment in time all believers who have died will rise from their graves and will meet the Lord in the air, and Christians who are alive will be caught up with them, to be with the Lord forever.
- WE BELIEVE…in The Millennial Reign of Christ when Jesus returns with His saints at His second coming and begins His benevolent rule over earth for 1,000 years. This millennial reign will bring the salvation of national Israel and the establishment of universal peace.
- WE BELIEVE…A Final Judgment Will Take Place for those who have rejected Christ. They will be judged for their sin and consigned to eternal punishment in a lake of fire.
- WE BELIEVE…and look forward to the perfect New Heavens and a New Earth that Christ is preparing for all people, of all time, who have accepted Him. We will live and dwell with Him there forever following His millennial reign on Earth. ‘And so shall we forever be with the Lord!’